The Spiral Door: Annual Horoscope News
Front Page
Page Two Recent Offerings Weekly Magazine Horoscopes Subscribe! Feedback
Astrology Secrets Revealed
October 24, 2020, 11:04:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Astrology Questions & Answers Forum run!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

This space is a dialog with astrologers. You may submit your question to asr@planetwaves.net. By submitting a question, you agree to have the question, chart, and birth data published in Astrology Secrets Revealed, and in other projects of Planet Waves, Inc. We will not publish your contact information.

We get a lot of inquiries, so submitting a question does not guarantee an answer, but we’ll surely do our best to respond. You agree to take full responsibility for what you read on these pages, and for any information we may provide in an answer. Astrology in this format is a form of personally applicable mythical fiction. Answers are not astrological counseling or consulting, they are merely the opinion of an astrologer.

Some of the astrologers here do give personal readings, and you can find out more here.
When you submit a question, please write out your birth date (such as August 31, 2006) and remember the time and place of your birth. If you are a member of this forum, you may submit your query, or a comment, by private message to an astrologer. Participants in this forum also agree to abide by the Planet Waves Terms of Service, located here.

Astrologers who respond are listed here.

This forum is sponsored by your subscriptions to Planet Waves Weekly. To learn more, please visit this link.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: On the subject of Pluto and Icarus  (Read 1890 times)
paloma
Global Moderator

aquipaloma@yahoo.fr
View Profile Email
« on: September 05, 2006, 03:28:19 AM »

Dear Eric:

I hope this email finds you well.

I was wondering if you could help me sort something out.

Thanks to a link on your site, I notice I have Pluto-Charon square
Icarus. While on some level I think this funny, something informs me
that I need to wise up and pay attention.

In any case, the components of the imagery are clear (I think). I'm
just not sure how to construct the sentence.

Components:

Pluto-Charon = transformation
Icarus = quasi clever guy who flew too close to the sun Square =
difficult aspect.

Does this placement mean:

A warning against flying too close to the sun?

Or

An encouragement that positive transformation will occur by seeking to
fly too close to the sun? (based on the apparent double negative of
the square and the Icarus story creating a positive).

Or something different?

I'm interested in your thoughts.

Thanks Eric,

Valentina
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 01:30:10 PM by Eric Francis » Logged

I am available for in depth readings by mail and phone; or in person, if you are in Barcelona. I am fluent in french, spanish and english. Contact me at  paloma@planetwaves.net
Eric Francis
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 07:34:56 AM »

Hi Val,

Just a few brief opening notes. When using the asteroids and minor planets, the mythologies are important, but the delineation is what is more important. In other words, sometimes the asteroids manifest in ways literal to their theme (Photographica, for example, but that can also be about memory) and other times they are much more intuitive (for example, Achilles, being about false confidence of false lack of cofidence in women).

Icarus is one where you may need to set aside the moral of the story ("flew too close to the Sun and melted his wings") and apply some metaphors: such as peak experiences; view from high up; the need to escape (in the story, a prison). Icarus and Daedalus were not just going out clubbing; they were imprisoned, and were seekig a way out by air, because the water routes were not possible to use. So there may be something here about ways of approaching situations that apply thought (air) and go high above water (feeling) -- but with the reminder that we always wind up in our feelings, sooner or later.

Also, these wings are made; they are fabricated by human hands, so there is something here about making things for yourself.

Where you have Icarus in your chart you're likely to seek peak experiences and want to have a lot of perspective. Often the peaking quality is a matter of necessity. In the case of Pluto, this could be about peak experiences of transformation that feel inevitable in some way.

The square to Pluto also gives me the image, "Seeing around a corner," such as gaining perspective and thus being able to see in a difficult direction.

Now, if you could take the planets, signs and houses involved and make up a little story that uses the delineation of Icarus rather than strictly the myth...you may solve the riddle. Remember to include other points that are in close aspects to the square you're talking about -- if there is something in opposition to one of the points, for example, that's helpful to look at and factor into the story.

The whole subject of how you delineate an asteroid name into an application in astrology is a good one. One of the masters of the game is Martha Lang Wescott, http://treehousemountain.com/

Here is more on the myth - to show how complex it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icarus_%28mythology%29

e
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 07:38:11 AM by Eric Francis » Logged
paloma
Global Moderator

aquipaloma@yahoo.fr
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 11:31:16 AM »

Hi Val,

Some ideas for you:

My destilation of the myth of Dedalus and Icarus has to do with the intent of going beyong human limits. So there is something about reality, limits and the consequences of wanting to go to far.

If the Sun is the truth (of the human condition), then this myth points out to the idea of confronting the truth. [Leo, the ruling sign of the Sun is the king, so there is a relationship between royalty and reality. In spanish REAL means both... so being one's true self, one's own king, is about being real...]

Reality is the only truth. This is what is behind this myth.

In order to change [the labyrinth is the constrincting reality, that place where we are confined within ourselves, where we want to go out, escape... etc] we must be real. We must not go beyong what is possible, or we might burn ourselves.

This is my firts take.

On a second thought, there is also the relationship of father and son (sun) here. There is a nice play of symbolisms: the Sun usually being the father, and the son not listening, afirming his dreams and desires,  and going beyong the restriction of his father's verb and authority. So, there is another layer that plays similarly and nicely. There are both escaping the same destiny, but the son wants to escape his father's limits too. I would venture thinking that this is connected to family stories and the consequences of our parents deeds that we carry with us as a pathos that is imposed, and we want to escape from, for example. And about our realtionships to father.

Then, when i throw Pluto in the mix, i get again little ideas that i like. For example the idea of up and down. Going as far and close to the light versus going down into the underworld. How does that play? There is a light and darkness theme in which the light can be as dangerous as the dark if you do not respect it. That i like. I would think a bit more about this one, but i am pretty sure you can come up with lots of associations.

Thank you for this question... it is  fun and creative . I'd love to hear from you about your findings. Please share!

I am available for in depth readings by mail and phone; or in person, if you are in Barcelona. I am fluent in french, spanish and english. Contact me at  paloma@planetwaves.net
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: